Office Supporting the Board of Appeals

Zoning questions? such as  land use, structure locations and set backs should be directed to the Building Inspector:

James Bone, CBO
Zoning Enforcement Officer
978-356-6605 X 2
Protective Zoning Bylaw
Questions regarding procedures to appeal the Building Inspector's decision, procedures for filing a Petition, filing deadlines or status of a decision or to view ZBA files, should be directed to Marie Rodgers, Zoning Administrative Assistant, at

The office for the Zoning Board of Appeals is staffed part time by the Administrative Assistant who provides administrative assistance and support to the Board. As well as managing and coordinating all aspects of petition-related activities, the Administrative Assistant provides information to the public about the required procedures and assists applicants with the process of submitting applications to the Board.

The Board typically meets once a month and acts on all matters within its jurisdiction as provided under MGL Chapter 40A, the Ipswich Zoning Bylaw and MGL Chapter 40B. The Board considers Special Permit applications for non-conforming uses and structures, deliberates on appeals from decisions of the Building Inspector and acts on all petitions for Variances from the Ipswich Zoning Protective Zoning Bylaw.

The Board is an eight member adjudicatory board; five members serve a five-year term; and three associates serve one-year terms. The Select Board is the appointing authority. If you are interested in joining the Board please complete a Board and Committee Request Form and submit it to the Town Manager's Office.

For more information see: Zoning Board of Appeals

For more information about the Zoning Board of Appeals, please contact the Administrative Assistant, Marie Rodgers or 978-356-6672 or  Planning & Development