The Town of Ipswich has introduced a new Carry In/Carry Out policy for parks, ballfields and beaches.
Residents and visitors are asked to arrive at these locations prepared to take their trash along with them and are encouraged to recycle at home. Trash cans are not provided. For this program to succeed, the cooperation of all coaches, parents and players is essential. Children will need extra help and encouragement in learning how to care for their parks and fields.
This policy has been recommended by the Ipswich Recycling Advisory Committee and implemented by the Department of Public Works. Cranes Beach (Trustees of the Reservation), Gloucester, Hamilton, Wenham and Beverly have adopted this Carry In/Carry Out policy at parks and beaches with significant success.
Keeping Ipswich’s open spaces and athletic fields clean is a healthy, environmentally and economically smart plan that:
• Reduces litter and eliminates unsightly trash and receptacles, which can impact wildlife habitat
• Avoids the unpleasant smells and messes associated with trash receptacles
• Increases visitors’ safety by reducing the number of bees, wasps and other pests (such as
skunks and raccoons)
• Promotes recycling of materials generated by parks users – a majority of refuse in trash cans
has been recyclable plastic, glass, aluminum and cardboard
• Encourages frequent users to bring reusable containers
• Eliminates dumping of trash not generated at the parks
• Improves the health of wildlife by reducing their dependency on trash as a food source
• Fosters a partnership between visitors and the parks by encouraging all visitors to help maintain
• Saves taxpayer money used to pay for trash disposal.
Please join in the effort to keep Ipswich’s parks, beaches and playing fields clean, safe, comfortable and inviting for all.